Curious about who I am? Posts about health and natural birth Resources and posts regarding vaccines and informed consent Posts about Parenting and Relationships Spirituality and Life Lessons Email me Home

Information On Milk Alternatives

When you were little, it wasn’t a question - When someone referred to milk – it undoubtedly came from a cow. 

While whole cow’s milk is still the fluid of choice for many parents of toddlers and their families, some moms and dads prefer to choose something else. Reasons for choosing something other then cows milk vary and may be because of a sensitivity, dietary restriction (such as vegan), environmental, or health reason(s).

I choose not to drink cows milk for many reasons, but that’s another post. Here I wanted to offer information on the many choices we have today.



A Note on Plant Based Milks

I will use the term “milk”, but in essence plant based “milks” are not technically milk since milk comes from mama mammals. They are alternative beverages made from seeds of various plants.

Most have very distinct tastes, colors and textures. All plant based milks are cholesterol free and contain little saturated fat (with the except of coconut milk).

The down side with plant based drinks is that some can be loaded with sugar. Another possible negative aspect can be that there is a less effective vitamin D used in these milks compared to animal based milk. Specifically, animal milk contains vitamin D3 where most plant based milks contain vitamin D2 which the body is less able to utilize. Personally, my family and I take vitamin D3 supplements (this is the only supplement I adamantly support) so it is not an issue for me. (Here is the vitamin D3 supplement I give to my 3 year old...i give her three instead of two daily)   

Overall, plant based milks vary in their nutritional content based on how the beverage is fortified. Always good to check out the nutrition information!

Let’s check out our options!


Soy Milk

Currently the most popular alternative to dairy, soy milk was one of the first widely available plant based milks. There are tons of different options/flavors and organic is usually available at most supermarkets.

Generally, the thick, creamy consistency of soy is most like traditional cows milk. However, if you opt for the unsweetened option then you may notice a slight bitter taste. 

Many people I have come across give a wag-of-the-finger when it comes to soy products do to the controversy of phytoestrogens (or isoflavones). There is research still being done and we are continuing to learn more about this issue.

Do I avoid organic soy products? No, I don’t. But I enjoy other options in combination to organic soy.



click here for an easy home made almond milk recipe
Almond Milk

Almonds are one the healthiest nuts you can eat and may be one of the more nutritious milk alternatives that is available (just watch out for added sugars of course).

Popularity for almond milk is growing fast. Low in calories and high in nutrients (particularly the antioxidant vitamin E), almond milk is light in flavor and still provides a nice creamy consistency. It can easily be made at home as well. (Here is just one of many recipes you can find online)

Although almonds are generally high in protein, almond milk is not (about 1-2 grams). If you are looking for protein, you are better off just eating almonds.

Also worth noting, almond nuts are a goitrogenic food. This is a natural substance in fruits, grains and veggies that can interfere with healthy thyroid function in some people (mostly in large doses). Cooking food inactivates much of the goitrogens, but if you are especially sensitive or have hyprothyroidism you may want to limit or eliminate this option.



Coconut Milk


The saturated fat in coconut milk is made up of short-chain and medium chain fatty acids which the body quickly turns into energy. Consequently, even though it can be considered high in saturated fats, coconut milk can actually aid in weight loss due to its stimulating effects on metabolism.

Half of the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut milk are made up of lauric acid which is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal – coconut milk may help boost the immune system!

Drinking straight coconut milk can carry some large numbers in the calorie department – so you can opt for coconut milk beverages. Check out SoDelicious brand which even carries an organic choice. (I have read that this is an ideal choice for nursing mothers who have babies that suffer from a daily allergy.)

I am a huge proponent for coconut oil, but have never tried coconut milk or coconut milk beverages – after doing this research, I’ll be buying some this weekend!


Rice Milk

Rice milk is the most hypoallergenic of all milk substitutes. This alternative milk is processed from brown rice.

Rice milk can be a great choice for adults, but typically not for toddlers or children due to its low  amounts of protein, fat, and calories.

Only one cup of rice milk contains over 30 grams of sugary carbohydrates (@ 4 times the amount found in soy milk) – this might not be the most suitable choice for diabetics.

Coffee drinkers may not enjoy the rather thin consistency of rice milk.

Personally, I have never tried rice milk and I really don’t plan to. I’m not sure, but it just doesn’t appeal to me.


Hemp Milk

An excellent source of protein, hemp milk is creamier and nuttier than soy or rice milk. It is also rich in healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids (which promote hearth health and memory).

Although hemp milk is completely legal here in the U.S. (and does not contain any THC due to manufacturing from seed not the plant itself), if you purchase this milk it is most likely to be manufactured by our northernly friends in Canada.

Protein and fat content are a bit lower than the cows milk, but higher than other grain milks – which make it a very good choice for toddlers.


Goat Milk

The only non-plant based milk on the list –it is an excellent alternative to cows milk for toddlers because it is similar to the composition of human breast milk more then the other options commonly available. 

Goat’s milk has more calcium, more naturally occurring vitamin A and D, and potassium then cows milk. Another awesome point, goats are not treated with growth hormones! Yippie!

The taste of goats milk is somewhat more tangy. I’ve given this to my daughter in the past and she completely refused it, however, it was whole goats milk – not the 2% which they also have available in stores as well.



Conclusion

Does your toddler need milk to achieve the calcium and fat levels needed in their diet – absolutely not. In fact, there are much healthier options that we can choose in which our bodies can utilize calcium better. But again, that is another post completely. (Check out 15 Non Dairy Foods High in Calcium)

For healthy kids, milk is just a drink – it is not an exclusive source of daily nutrition. In fact, too much milk (more then 16 oz per day) may place children at risk of vitamin deficiencies (such as low iron levels).

Obviously, for any child who is not growing in a typical manner or has issues with food allergies (or other dietary restrictions) you would want to speak with a Nutritionalist (who will be able to impart much more information then an average pediatrician).


I will leave you with this short list to learn more! Enjoy –



9 comments:

  1. First AND Foremost!! YOUR BLOG IS SOO PHENEMENAL!! Thank you for All your effort, your thought, and Research to support your posts!!
    Your numerous posts about the dangerous Truth of Vaccines will UNDOUBTLY assist me in my PASSIONATE PURSUIT to keep our precious (intact!!) son Non- Vax!!! My husband agrees to Delay until 2yrs.....soooo i have abit of time to convince him..No-Vax

    We dont drink cows milk at all...i drink enriched Rice Milk and got.me thinking...what do we want to offer instead!! Timely Post

    Love Love Attachment Parenting!!! maybe y r my Soul Sister!!

    Keep up the awesome wotk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Steph!!! You made my week with your generous comment!! I'll be your soul sista ; ) lol

    i believe everything happens for a reason - i must have posted this for you lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing my almond milk recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! Thanks for sharing on the crunchy mamas board ; )

      Delete
  4. We drink raw cows milk from local grass-fed pastured cows. IMO no milk "alternative" can come close to the nutrient content of raw milk. Soy is quite goitrogenic and I worry about the arsenic content of rice milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the comment Sara : )

      I’m not very familiar with raw cows milk – it’s not readily available for me in my area. I’m glad you have the opportunity to provide it to your family. For me, i would personally opt for raw goats milk over cows milk. Although, I don’t depend on milk of any kind to provide nutrients, instead I focus on attaining these vitamins via diet. My beverage of choice for my family is water. We occasionally drink almond milk.

      As for soy, I agree – I mentioned the goitrogenic aspect of this type of milk in the almond section. I mentioned it in that specific section because almond milk can be made from raw, uncooked almonds (versus soy is almost always cooked – and their goitrogenic facet is weakened when cooked).

      Delete
    2. Lol. I guess to me getting vitamins in milk is through diet! While I agree that there are other good sources of the same vitamins and minerals that raw milk provides, it's so much easier and delicious for us to get them in the milk. My husband won't drink it, though. He just doesn't drink milk in general.

      Yes it's really nice having a local source of raw cows milk from healthy pastured cows. I would prefer goats milk also, but honestly goats milk is just too expensive for our family anyway. It's around 5$ for a quart; yikes! The cows milk ends up being about the same as "organic" milk from the store.

      I'm really protective of my thyroid now. I used to eat a lot of tofu and drink soy milk, etc...and my thyroid and metabolism was really really crappy. It's finally recovered (after some big dietary changes and a bout of postpartum hyperthyroidism) and I don't want to abuse it ever again!

      Delete
  5. We buy a great 50/50 coconut/almond milk in the carton and everyone LOVES it! :) I stay away from dairy, non-organic soy, and rice milk (the new arsenic studies are scary!) :) Hemp milk is ok, but pricey and not the best tasting compared to the others, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally give the 50/50 a try - I've never seen that before.

      Delete

Please be respectful. If you are about to say something that you would not let your child hear, then please refrain from saying it.